Over the centuries, the Certosa di San Martino has been enriched with an absolutely prestigious artistic, historical and architectural heritage. The Neapolitan Republic of 1799 changed its fate: the friars, accused of republican sympathies, were expelled from the monastery, which, on the day after the Unification of Italy, was finally suppressed.
In 1866 it became a National Monument and its first Director, Giuseppe Fiorelli, decided to turn it into the 'historical museum' of the Kingdom of Naples. From that moment on, with donations first from private individuals and then from institutions, everything that could constitute testimony to the history of Naples and its artistic civilization arrived from the territory. The wealth of art treasures combined with its enchanting location have made it a favorite destination, since the 16th century, of literati, scholars and travelers.